2013年9月26日 星期四

T&T 014 COMPARATIVE DEGREE 比較級/ SUPERLATIVE DEGREE最高級

T&T 014
TEXT: Confused Words - ADJECTIVE
容易混淆和用錯的COMPARATIVE DEGREE 比較級 / SUPERLATIVE DEGREE最高級

Better / worse
Better is the comparative of well. Worse is the comparative of ill when referring to health.
How's Liz? - She's much better / nearly well.
How's Bob? - He 's still ill - much worse.

Little
We use the comparative / superlative of small.
a small / little boy
a smaller / the smallest boy.
The forms littler, the littlest are typical of children's speech and refer to size and age.
Don't hit him. He's littler than you are.
Susie's 6, and Jimmy's the littlest. He's 4.

elder / eldest, older / oldest
Elder and eldest are used (attributive only) with reference to people in a family; elder is therefore never followed by than.
My elder brother / son, the eldest child. The noun is often deleted after the eldest / youngest.
I'm the eldest and Pam's the youngest.
The elder is possible in : e.g. I'm the elder.

old / older / oldest
These are used attributively and predicatively with reference to people and things:
my older brother
my oldest son / oldest child
My brother is older than I am. Tim is the oldest in our family.
an older tree / book
the oldest tree / book
This oak tree is older than that yew tree.
This book is older than that one. It's the oldest book I have in my library.



free counters

沒有留言:

張貼留言